This is a night time Fat Bike race that starts and ends in Deadwood. The race will have a parade that starts across from the visitors center and rolls up downtown Deadwood. Two distances are available, a 24 mile and 15 mile option.
Visit the website for more information: http://dirtychain.co/
Registration will open on October 12, 2019 at 12:01 am and close January 12, 2020. We will not accept registrations after this date and there will be no race day registrations available. CLICK HERE to register.
Date: February 1, 2020
All riders will have the same start time of 5:00 pm.
- This is a “night” race of 24 or 15 miles. It will be a unique racing experience so be ready for winter riding conditions! Deadwood has an average high of 33 degrees in January and chilly 10 degree lows. Snow may or may not be a factor.
- Packet pickup will be at the Comfort Inn & Suites conference room between 12-3:30pm February 1, 2020. The Comfort Inn & Suites is located at 225 Cliff St, Deadwood, SD 57732.
- Riders meeting will be at 4pm in the conference room as well.
- Front headlight
- Rear tail light
- Fat bike tires (3.8” or larger)
- Layered clothing, winter gloves, and head covering under helmet.
- Riding in similar conditions to get a feel for what to expect and what gear you will need.
Course details and instructions:
Riders will begin on Main Street in Deadwood, SD under the arch in front of the new visitors center. Many amazing historical characters have walked in the valley you will be riding in! There will be a neutral start with police escort for both distances over the cobblestone streets. Riders will be lead to the beginning of the Mickelson Trail where racing begins!! You will be on groomed trail until you reach Lead, SD. There will be a mandatory “hold your position” section for rider safety for ~1 mile coming through downtown Lead, SD. Racing can commence once riders reach Grandview Street. The race will end in front of the Comfort Inn & Suites on the Mickelson Trailhead in Deadwood. The course will be well marked.
There will be two hot chocolate “aid” stations. Water, gatorade, and snacks will also be offered. One will be located on the trail before riders cross over highway 85 towards Lead and at Englewood Trailhead for the longer distance. The turn around for the longer distance will be approximately 1.5 miles past the Englewood Trailhead at the green closure gate. After you cross highway 85, the route will take you to main street Lead to the four way intersection. Here you will take a right and head down historic main street for one mile. You will take a left on Grandview St to the dog park which is the trailhead for the Homestake Trail. Volunteers will be in position to make sure you find the trailhead. Riders bike the Homestake Trail for 3.3 miles and then continue straight towards the Mickelson Trail. From that point, it is a short sprint to the finish line!
We will have more detailed information at the riders meeting with an opportunity for Q&A.
Awards ceremony, raffle, after party:
After the race, riders will be invited back to the Comfort Inn & Suites for the after party and awards ceremony. Food, beer, while it lasts, and music will be provided as a part of your race entry! Music will begin around 8 pm with awards ceremony beginning at 8:30 pm. Raffle for swag will be after the awards ceremony. Awards will be hand crafted by the Mind Blown Studio at the Pump House and given to the following categories:
- top three men 39 and under for 24 and 15 mile distances
- top three men 40 and over for 24 and 15 mile distances
- top three ladies for 24 and 15 mile distances
- top three 17 and under for 24 and 15 mile distances
Good luck riders!
Ticket InformationTicket Information: Registration is open.
Event Contact InformationName: Robert and Wendy Cota