Twin Pines Lodge
Comfortable home, walking distance from downtown Deadwood. Sleeps 12 for your next family reunion.
This property is located on the slope of Mount Roosevelt overlooking Deadwood’s Historic Main Street, just one block north of the distinguished Franklin Hotel. From the large yard on the east side, one can enjoy outdoor lounging and play area with an outstanding view of White Rocks, Mount Moriah and other famous landmarks. To the south, east and north, the panoramic view encompasses notorious Old Main in its entirety a National Historic Landmark, portions of Homestake gold mine, and the only Carnegie Library in South Dakota still being used for its original function.
The original three story mansion, visible in post-1880 photographic prints, boasted balconies with columns and a ballroom used by William Lowe, patriarch of a local mercantile family in the 1870s and 1880s , to entertain town officials and domestic and foreign dignitaries. The original structure was destroyed by fire during WWII. Be sure to inspect the retaining wall upon which the present home rests. The wall was built in the 1870s by Chinese labor that had arrived during the Black Hills Gold rush of 1876 and contains stones of very great size and weight. The wall is scheduled for restoration in 2004.