Vote Yes on Constitutional Amendment B
Attorney General Ballot Explanation Title – An amendment to the South Dakota Constitution authorizing the Legislature to allow sports wagering in Deadwood.
The constitution currently authorizes the Legislature to allow certain types of gaming in the City of Deadwood: roulette, keno, craps, limited card games, and slot machines. This constitutional amendment authorizes the Legislature to also include wagering on sporting events as a type of gaming allowed in Deadwood.
Under federal law, any gaming authorized by the Legislature to be offered in Deadwood would also be allowed at on-reservation tribal casinos upon amendments to the current tribal gaming compacts.
Vote “Yes” to adopt the amendment.
Vote “No” to leave the Constitution as it is.
Top 8 Facts About Sports Wagering in South Dakota
1. The Deadwood Gaming Association is asking the legislature to place Sports Wagering on the ballot for voters of South Dakota to decide if they want safe, regulated sports betting available to them.
2. If approved, the South Dakota Legislature will decide the manner of implementing sports wagering in South Dakota.
3. Sports wagering is an additional game type.
4. We must compete with surrounding gaming jurisdictions’ offerings. Sports wagering is doing extremely well in Iowa, and it will be starting in March in Montana and in May in Colorado.
5. According to the American Gaming Association, 14 states currently have legal sports wagering, with 6 states and the District of Columbia having already authorized sports wagering, while another 12 states have active legislation on sports wagering.
6. Sports wagering is currently happening in South Dakota ILLEGALLY! When given the option, we believe South Dakotans want to place their sports wagers in a safe, legal and regulated environment.
7. Deadwood gaming just celebrated our 30th Anniversary this year. Our success has been tied to keeping our promises with the voters of South Dakota and creating a fun, safe gaming destination for them to enjoy.
8. The people of South Dakota should have the opportunity to decide if they want legal sports wagering.
How do voters feel about Sports Wagering?
CLICK HERE to view the American Gaming Association’s survey results.