During the 2020 SD Legislature, the Deadwood Gaming Association is seeking support for Senate Joint Resolution 501. The resolution proposes submitting to the voters an amendment to the Constitution of the State of South Dakota, providing wagering on sporting events and to revise provisions regarding certain municipal proceeds of gaming revenues. CLICK HERE to learn more.
Top 8 Facts About Sports Wagering in South Dakota
1. The Deadwood Gaming Association is asking the legislature to place Sports Wagering on the ballot for voters of South Dakota to decide if they want safe, regulated sports betting available to them.
2. If approved, the South Dakota Legislature will decide the manner of implementing sports wagering in South Dakota.
3. Sports wagering is an additional game type.
4. We must compete with surrounding gaming jurisdictions’ offerings. Sports wagering is doing extremely well in Iowa, and it will be starting in March in Montana and in May in Colorado.
5. According to the American Gaming Association, 14 states currently have legal sports wagering, with 6 states and the District of Columbia having already authorized sports wagering, while another 12 states have active legislation on sports wagering.
6. Sports wagering is currently happening in South Dakota ILLEGALLY! When given the option, we believe South Dakotans want to place their sports wagers in a safe, legal and regulated environment.
7. Deadwood gaming just celebrated our 30th Anniversary this year. Our success has been tied to keeping our promises with the voters of South Dakota and creating a fun, safe gaming destination for them to enjoy.
8. The people of South Dakota should have the opportunity to decide if they want legal sports wagering.
How do voters feel about Sports Wagering?
CLICK HERE to view the American Gaming Association’s survey results.